Herbs And Body Systems
For those who have completed a beginners herbalism course before. Explore the use of healing plants to support and strengthen the body, and examine how different plants have affinity for different systems of the body. Covers treatment strategies for disorders of the respiratory, digestive, cardiovascular and immune systems, including allergies and stress, as well as skin disorders, musculoskeletal system and the urinary system. In each session we will look at the basic anatomy of the relevant body system. Weather permitting; this course may include a walk.
Who is this course for
Students who have attended the beginner's course and who wish to take their studies further.
What does this course cover
The course covers: a basic study of the body's systems and how to use herbs to help out when they are not functioning as well as they might. We will look at:-
- The digestive system: the organs involved and how they work, herbal strategies for digestive dis-ease, including indigestion, bloating, constipation and diarrhoea.
- The cardiovascular system: useful herbs, diet and lifestyle in the management of high blood pressure, poor circulation, atherosclerosis and varicose veins.
- The respiratory system: how lungs function in health and illness. Useful herbs for coughs and bronchitis.
- Stress and the neuroendocrine system. The adrenal glands and the pysiological effects of stress. Using herbs and diet to maintain a healthy nervous system and energy balance.
- The immune system. Allergic reactions, eg Hayfever. Useful herbs and dietry strategies.
Identify how to use diet, herbs and other factors to maintain a healthful state
Have a greater understanding of the systems covered, how they work and how you can use herbs to improve their functioning.
Select a balanced mix of herbs to treat common complaints.
Be aware of when it is appropriate to consult a trained professional
What will it be like
Lectures, class discussion and group exercises. Tutor feedback
What else do you need to buy or do
No special materials are required. All materials needed for making herbal preparations can be found in the home or are easily available in herb shops.
What this course could lead to
Students may be interested in courses in alternative medicine, including professional herbalism courses such as BSc courses. About 10% of students have gone on to professional study and many more have found the course useful in their work including: nature conservation; massage; acupuncture; and working in health food shops.
I've been to many Centres to study in London and the Mary Ward Centre is one of the nicest I've studied in.MWC student
This course has concessions available for people who meet certain criteria
Got a Question about this Course?
Contact The Departmental Administrator.
Why come to Mary Ward Centre?
Mary Ward Centre is the adult education centre with a difference. We provide a wide range of subjects for people at all levels and run courses during the day, evening or weekend to suit your timetable.
Get inspired and enjoy excellent teaching in an environment where each individual’s learning experience is valued. That’s what makes Mary Ward Centre ‘the friendly place to learn.’