Introduction To Diet And Nutrition
This course gives you the knowledge to really understand how to create a healthy diet for you and your family.
Discover how food affects us and how what you eat can improve or damage your health. Understand food labelling, which fats you should be eating, the role of vitamins and minerals in the body and so much more.
Who is this course for
No previous experience required. In this course we will explore how nutrition is related to health and disease and how to create a healthy diet for yourself. Topics covered include:
- Antioxidants and free radicals
- Dairy products: the pros and cons. Alternatives to cow's milk and yogurt
- The benefits of different whole grains
- Gluten and wheat allergy and intolerance
- Common digestive problems and how to improve your digestive health
- Supplements and micronutrients for improving digestion
What does this course cover
- Discuss the process of digestion and absorption of nutrients by the body
- Explore the main food groups: proteins, carbohydrates and fats
- Take a detailed look at good and bad fats in the diet
- Learn about the glycaemic index and maintaining balanced blood sugar levels
- Discuss obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes
- Look at the role of vitamins and minerals in the body
- Learn about the foods and cooking methods which are damaging to health
What will it be like
Lecture, discussion, question and answers sessions, group work, labelling and filling in charts
At the Start: Self assessment
On the course: tutor and self assessment
At the end: tutor and self assessment
What else do you need to buy or do
Hand outs will be provided. Please bring a pen and some paper or a notebook.
What this course could lead to
Students may be interested in taking other complementary therapy courses such as Herbalism or Aromatherapy.
I've been to many Centres to study in London and the Mary Ward Centre is one of the nicest I've studied in.MWC student
This course has concessions available for people who meet certain criteria
Got a Question about this Course?
Contact The Departmental Administrator.
Why come to Mary Ward Centre?
Mary Ward Centre is the adult education centre with a difference. We provide a wide range of subjects for people at all levels and run courses during the day, evening or weekend to suit your timetable.
Get inspired and enjoy excellent teaching in an environment where each individual’s learning experience is valued. That’s what makes Mary Ward Centre ‘the friendly place to learn.’