Life Writing – Evening
Tap into your memories, discover and value your true voice. Each class will inspire you with writing
exercises, strategies, tips and motivation to help you in your writing life.
Who is this course for
A course to help you to tap into your memories, family stories or other biographies and to discover your true voice. Each class will inspire you with writing exercises, strategies, tips and motivation for your writing life. The course will suit both beginners and more experienced writers who want to take themselves more seriously and breathe new energy into their work. New for 2018-19 evenings, a condensed 2-hour version of our popular Life-writing course.
What does this course cover
- Developing skills and motivation to write from real-life.
- Editing your work with more confidence.
- Giving and receiving supportive feedback.
- Appreciating the art of memoir, family memoir and biography.
- Know some outlets for publication.
What will it be like
Writing exercises: techniques, tips and strategies to practice and improve your writing and boost your confidence. We will discuss the potential problems of sharing/over-sharing real-life stories and how the fear of this might hold us back. Each week there will be opportunities to share your work on a rota basis.
Reading: we will read extracts from great memoir and fiction. Don't worry if you're not an avid reader, this is the opportunity to be exposed to an eclectic range of writing and discover new passions.
Assessment: we will workshop writing in class in a supportive way. There will be opportunities to develop your opinions and critical assessment in order to become a more confident editor.
At the end of the eight weeks we will hold a showcase where you will have the chance to share an edited piece you can be proud of and receive brief written feedback from each member of the group.
What else do you need to buy or do
Bring pen and paper.
Fill your notebooks with new writing over the 8-week course and beyond.
What this course could lead to
A chance to
- Experiment or kick-start your writing practice.
- Take yourself more seriously as a writer.
- Get support to clarify your writing project.
- Generate work with a view to publishing.
- Go on to further study, either continue with life-writing at Mary Ward or try other creative writing classes and qualifications.
- Meet other students and set up independent writing groups and communities.
I've been to many Centres to study in London and the Mary Ward Centre is one of the nicest I've studied in.MWC student
Got a Question about this Course?
Contact The Departmental Administrator.
Why come to Mary Ward Centre?
Mary Ward Centre is the adult education centre with a difference. We provide a wide range of subjects for people at all levels and run courses during the day, evening or weekend to suit your timetable.
Get inspired and enjoy excellent teaching in an environment where each individual’s learning experience is valued. That’s what makes Mary Ward Centre ‘the friendly place to learn.’