Sculpture: Thinking And Making
Suitable for any level of experience. Explore a range of materials and techniques through which to develop ideas.
If you would like enrol at the concession rate, please request and complete your enrolment by contacting: MWEnquiries@marywardcentre.ac.uk or calling 020 7269 6000 Mon- Thu
Who is this course for
Develop your own ideas, work with a range of materials, techniques and approaches, both traditional and contemporary.
Suitable for all levels; beginners to advanced.
What does this course cover
The aim of the course is to:
In term 1 the course will be concentrating on life modelling.
1. Introduce students to the process of making sculpture through observation and by gathering resources and materials.
2. Encourage awareness of the use of source information and creative ideas, using sketches and maquettes to develop a finished piece.
3. Students will be encouraged to follow personal projects, or the tutor will assist in developing a project plan.
By the end of the course students will:
1. be able to work more independently towards the completion of a sculpture.
2. be able to choose appropriate materials and resources.
3. be aware of techniques and a variety of processes for the making of sculpture.
4. be able to apply some techniques for making sculpture.
5. be able to make aesthetic judgments about a piece of sculpture.
What will it be like
Individual tuition and group work.
Students may do set projects offered.
Practical demonstrations will be given.
Assessment is ongoing and based on tutor observations.
The tutor will look at understanding of technical and aesthetic processes in relation to your discussed aims.
Verbal feedback is given throughout classes on a one-to-one basis.
At the end of each term we will discuss projects as a group.
What else do you need to buy or do
Students should wear stout shoes and bring an apron or old shirt, sculpture can be messy, and dusty.
There will be an occassional life-model and the cost of model fees are extra. The tutor will discuss prices at the start of the course.
What this course could lead to
Other courses at The Mary Ward Centre including Foundaiton, Pre-foundation, Advanced Creative Practice, other sculpture courses at Mary Ward Centre or elswhere. Tutor can advise.
There are such a huge number of courses on offer, I can always find something to fit in with my busy schedule.Karen
This course has concessions available for people who meet certain criteria
Got a Question about this Course?
Contact The Departmental Administrator.
Why choose Mary Ward?
Mary Ward Centre is the adult education centre with a difference. We provide a wide range of subjects for people at all levels and run courses during the day, evening and weekends to suit your timetable. You can learn face to face at one of our centres (Bloomsbury or Waterloo) or take an online course
Get inspired and enjoy excellent teaching in an environment where each individual’s learning experience is valued. That’s what makes Mary Ward Centre ‘the friendly place to learn.’