Working With Anxiety And Anxiety Disorders
Open to qualified counsellors, psychotherapists and psychologists, this interactive workshop will deepen your knowledge of the nature, origins and meaning of anxiety. Through role-play and discussion of clinical examples, you will learn techniques that will increase your confidence and effectiveness when working with anxiety and anxiety disorders.
Who is this course for
The workshop is open to counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists and mental health practitioners. This interactive two-day workshop will assist participants to deepen their knowledge of the nature, origins and meaning of anxiety. Through the role-play and discussion of clinical examples, participants will learn techniques to increase their confidence and effectiveness when working with anxiety and anxiety disorders.
CPD Credits: 12 hours, students will recieve a CPD certificate on completion of the course.
What does this course cover
- The nature of anxiety and its components (somatic, cognitive, emotional and behavioural)
- The four primary forms of anxiety.
- Theories on the origins of anxiety.
- The relationship between anxiety and anxiety disorders.
- The new DSM-5 classification of anxiety disorders - focusing on General Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia.
- Differences between Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Therapeutic interventions involving cognitive-behavioural, mindfulness and imagery.
- How recent developments in neuroscience can help inform therapeutic work.
At the end of the workshop participants will:
Have a broad understanding of anxiety and anxiety disorders - their symptoms and symbolic meaning.
- Acquire and develop some practical skills and strategies for use in therapeutic practice - what helps and is appropriate, and what may not be.
- Participants can review their relationship with their own anxiety.
What will it be like
Learning activities will consist of
- Lecture and PowerPoint presentation.
- Experiential exercises and discussion of theoretical concepts.
- Presentation of clinical examples.
- Participants will have the opportunity to present their clinical work for discussion and peer learning.
Participants will receive the workshop handouts.
What else do you need to buy or do
pen and paper
What this course could lead to
tutor to advise
I've been to many Centres to study in London and the Mary Ward Centre is one of the nicest I've studied in.MWC student
Got a Question about this Course?
Contact The Departmental Administrator.
Why come to Mary Ward Centre?
Mary Ward Centre is the adult education centre with a difference. We provide a wide range of subjects for people at all levels and run courses during the day, evening or weekend to suit your timetable.
Get inspired and enjoy excellent teaching in an environment where each individual’s learning experience is valued. That’s what makes Mary Ward Centre ‘the friendly place to learn.’