Other Mary Ward ServicesLegal Advice Community Services Education Outreach
The course is suitable for students who have completed 'Italian 4C' at the Centre, or B1 - B2 level of competency in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) elsewhere, and want to take their language skills to the next level. To join the course students should be able to understand and communicate effectively, though not necessarily always accurately, in Italian.
Using a wide range of topics the course emphasises oral communication and presents language functionally within the framework of Italian culture and students' personal interests. It aims at consolidating the use of most complex grammatical structures (e.g. past tenses, subjunctive, pronouns - relative, direct, indirect -) and recognising/understanding various register/accents. In addition to this, the course aims to develop reading, listening and speaking skills.
By the end of the course, students will be able to discuss more confidently and more accurately about some aspects of Italian culture and life.
During the course learners will be working towards reaching B2/C1 level of competency in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), incorporating the following learning objectives:
- Understand extended speech and lectures or a conversation between native speakers and follow even complex lines of argument provided the topic is reasonably familiar. (e.g. some TV news and current affairs programmes, films in standard Italian etc.).
- Read articles and reports concerned with contemporary issues in which the writers adopt particular attitudes or viewpoints.
- Understand contemporary literary prose
- Enter unprepared into conversation and interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers possible.
- Present clear, detailed descriptions on a wide range of subjects related to your field of interest.
- Briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans. Narrate a story or the plot of a book or film and describe your reactions.
- Write clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects related to your interests.
The course will be delivered online using Zoom and it is taught exclusively in Italian. The emphasis is on developing confidence in speaking and reading through communicative activities (e.g. small group work, pair work, whole group lively discussion and debate, role-play, games, presentations by the tutor and the students). Each activity lasts between 20 and 40 minutes. Learning is assessed throughout the course in order to recognise and record students' progress and achievement (RARPA) through continuous dialogue, correction of homework and active listening. Learners will receive regular feedback and have the opportunity to evaluate their own progress and discuss it with the tutor at the end of the course.
Since the course is delivered online using Zoom, students should make sure they have installed it in advance of their first class on their computer or mobile device. There is no specific textbook for this course. The lesson material and references (videos, listening activities, articles) will be available every week on Moodle. Students are encouraged to read, listen to Italian radio or TV and spend as much time as possible being exposed to the language. To make real progress learners are advised not to miss classes and to practice regularly between sessions.
You tutor will advise you at the end of course. Options are:
-Repeat the course for consolidation
- Join 'Italian Language and Culture' offered by the Centre
- Enrol on a CEFR C1 level course elsewhere
The course will be run via Zoom, please make sure you have installed it in advance of your first class. Il corso è per studenti che vogliono migliorare sia la comunicazione che la comprensione della lingua Italiana e che hanno già raggiunto un appropriato livello di competenza (i.e. CEFR B2 o equivalente). Alla fine del corso riuscirete a esprimere opinioni e ipotesi e a sostenere una conversazione usando una varietà di registri linguistici. Avrete inoltre ampliato il vostro lessico con argomenti riguardanti le arti visive e la letteratura.
For more information contact The Departmental Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
See how long it will take you to get to college. Please select the campus of the course you wish to study.