Everyone has a story and a unique voice. These eight-week courses will help you find yours through fun exercises to jog your memory and get your writing muscles working.
Who is this course for
Life writing is the recording of memory or experiences, whether your own or someone else's.
This course is for beginners, improvers or for those who have had a break in their writing practice and want to find a way back in. A strong desire to write and read eclectically is essential.
What does this course cover
During the course you should:
1. Gain an understanding of the qualities that make for good writing, and apply this to your own work.
2. Give and receive constructive comment.
3. Edit a piece of work.
4. Know the outlets for publication.
5. Make progress in attaining the `writing life' - discipline and organisation.
What will it be like
Each two hour session will be split into three parts:
1. Writing exercises to jog your memory, get your writing muscles working and to inspire you. Some of you will want to share these with the group, but this will not be obligatory.
2. We will discuss the work of published writers, which you will have read during the week for homework. This is integral in helping you find your own voice.
3. You will be encouraged to share the writing you have been working on at home on a rota basis. The atmosphere will be supportive and encouraging with helpful feedback from the tutor and the group.
By the end of the course you will have gained confidence in your abilities as a writer and have made considerable progress in finding your voice.
What else do you need to buy or do
Bring pen and paper to each session.
Read the extracts of life-writing before each session and be excited by your own writing practice!
What this course could lead to
Eight weeks is enough to make a start on your writing projects.
There are further courses at Mary Ward and elsewhere to support your writing practice. Some of you might like to set up your own writing groups from the people you have met in these sessions.
I've been to many Centres to study in London and the Mary Ward Centre is one of the nicest I've studied in.MWC student
This course has concessions available for people who meet certain criteria
Got a Question about this Course?
Contact The Departmental Administrator.
Why come to Mary Ward Centre?
Mary Ward Centre is the adult education centre with a difference. We provide a wide range of subjects for people at all levels and run courses during the day, evening or weekend to suit your timetable.
Get inspired and enjoy excellent teaching in an environment where each individual’s learning experience is valued. That’s what makes Mary Ward Centre ‘the friendly place to learn.’